Tampico 145840

Show full item record


Title: Tampico 145840
Author: Unknown
Description: The "Tampico" was built by the Craig Shipbuilding Company of Toledo, Ohio in 1900. A steel bulk freighter, she was of 2133 gross tons. Between 1900 and 1917, she was owned by the Globe Navigation Company and the Pacific Coast Steamship Company of Seattle, Washington. At the time of the First World War, she was owned by the Crowell and Thurlow Company of Boston, Massachusetts. In 1922, she returned to service on the Great Lakes. At the outbreak of WWII, the "Tampico" was outfitted for ocean duty. Following the war, she was sold to Englandâ s Ministry of War. In 1946, the vessel again returned to the Great Lakes in service for the Nicholson Transit Company. In the early 1960s, her hull was stripped for conversion to a barge. In 1968, she was sunk near the Two Rivers, Wisconsin power plant where she served as a breakwater. This photograph shows the "Tampico" on the Cuyahoga River in 1946.
Permanent Link: http://hdl.handle.net/2374.OX/170468

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
2398.B.13.12.36.2.JPG 518.3Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show full item record